This butternut baked mac n “cheese” is such a winning side dish to bring to your holiday party! Its super creamy, and the sage in the breading compliments the butternut in the sauce SO well.
Baked Butternut Mac and 'Cheese' with Crispy Sage Topping
Butternut squash and sage are such an iconic duo, why not add a classic like baked mac n cheese? This recipe is creamy, flavorful, and has this crispy sage topping that smells and tastes amazing!
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 box small pasta, like elbows
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup cashews, soaked in boiling water for 1 hr
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 Tbsp vegan butter
- 5 sage leaves, chopped
- Step 1 1. Preheat the oven to 375F, then soak the cashews in boiling water for 30 minutes or longer.
- Step 2 2. Meanwhile. place the butternut. onions and shallots on a lined sheet pan. Drizzle with olive oil and roast for 15-20 minutes.
- Step 3 3. Then, cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Step 4 4. Place the roasted squash mixture in a blender with the plastic center piece removed. Add the three cups of stock, place a kitchen towel over top and blend until very smooth. Add this to the pasta.
- Step 5 5. Add the soaked cashews and the water to the blender, blend until very smooth. Add to the pasta with the salt and stir. Place in an oven safe casserole dish.
- Step 6 6. Place the panko, butter and chopped sage into a bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds, or until butter is melted. Stir, then sprinkle on top of the pasta.
- Step 7 7. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes, just until the topping is golden brown and crispy.