Okay, so kale isn’t really my thing. I’m a bad vegan. So, sometimes, reluctantly, I hide it in things. Like this stunningly vibrant soup! It’s packed with so many vegetables its like eating salad, but way better! Not to mention it comes together in 30 minutes or less 🙂
Broccoli and Kale Soup
This soup is loaded with veggies, and gets its creaminess from potatoes! Its like eating a salad, but way better. Add crisp chips and homemade croutons, and ok fine Ill eat kale.
- 1 bunch kale
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- 1/4 cup olive oil. divided
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 medium russet potatoes
- 3 shallots
- 16 oz bag of frozen broccoli, about 3 cups
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- Step 1 1. Preheat the oven to 325F
- Step 2 2. Cut 18 one inch pieces from the kale. Cube the bread. Toss with 2 Tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper. Bake on a sheet pan for 15 minutes, or until crisp. Set a timer, you’re about to get busy.
- Step 3 3. Poke the potatoes with a fork and put them in the microwave for 8 minutes.
- Step 4 4. Meanwhile, add the remaining 2 Tbsp olive oil to a sauce pot over medium heat. Slice the shallots, then add to the pan with a small pinch of salt. Stir.
- Step 5 5. Chop the rest of the kale and add to the pot with the bag of broccoli. Cover and cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Step 6 6. Rinse the cooked potatoes under cold water, pull the peel off.
- Step 7 7. Blend the veggies, potatoes, and 2 cups of vegetable stock. Serve immediately with the kale chips and croutons.
- Step 8 TIP: This recipe is its creamiest if you use a high powered blender. If you don’t have one, you can push it through a mesh strainer for a smoother texture.