Looking for that last minute side to bring to thanksgiving dinner? I GOTCHU. This green bean casserole is fast, easy and flavorful. The base is vegan cream cheese, so it is velvety and rich! By cooking it in a cast iron pan instead of a traditional casserole, you are able to caramelize the onions and garlic, and better control the cooking of the green beans. Then, fried onions…. it does not get any more perfect.
Cast Iron Green Bean Casserole
This is not your grandmothers green bean casserole! Its gluten free, nut free, dairy free and full of flavor!
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 16oz button mushrooms, sliced
- 24oz green beans, trimmed and halved
- 3/4 cup water
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/8th teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 8 oz container of dairy free cream cheese, such as WayFare
- 2.8 oz container french fried onions
- Step 1 1. In a medium cast iron pan over medium, heat the oil. Then add the sliced onions and garlic.
- Step 2 2. Add the mushrooms to the pan. Cook and stir until just golden brown. Add the green beans to the pan with the 3/4 cup water. Cook covered for 5 minutes.
- Step 3 3. Remove the cover and cook another 5-10 minutes, or until the water has evaporated out. The green beans should still be bright green, but not too crunchy. Set the oven to broil.
- Step 4 3. Mix in the salt and pepper, red pepper flakes, rosemary and garlic powder, because you can never have too much garlic.
- Step 5 4. Stir in the dairy free cream cheese, top with the french fried onions, and pop in the broiler for 2 minutes or until crisp. This part is optional, it just gives the onions a little extra crunch. Serve warm!