What do you do when you walk out of work with 30 extra croissants? You make croissant bread pudding with vegan bourbon caramel, obviously. As a food stylist, it isn’t uncommon to go home with excessive amounts of whatever was on set that day. Usually I donate leftovers to the church next door, but these gorgeous, flaky golden brown little babes needed to come home with me. Is this something that happens to most people? Maybe not, but worth the trip to the store, promise.
This bread pudding is fluffy and moist on the inside, slightly crunchy on the outside, and has the most perfect bourbon caramel glaze. You’ll never be basic and make bread pudding out of regular bread ever again. I know I won’t! I have tried so many vegan “caramel” sauces that are so, so sad. I love this one because the sweetness comes from dates, but you would honestly never know it. The trick to the caramel is to leave it to run in the blender for at least two minutes. It will get smooth and sticky and beautiful (see below)
This Croissant Bread Pudding with Vegan Bourbon Caramel Glaze is:
Croissant Bread Pudding with Vegan Bourbon Caramel Glaze
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon bourbon
- pinch salt
- 3 cups plant milk
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup flax seeds
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 15 medium croissants
- 1/4 cup whole pecans, if desired
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to 350F
- Step 2 For the bourbon caramel, combine the almond butter, maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla, 1 teaspoon bourbon and pinch of salt in a blender on high for at least two minutes, or until smooth and creamy. The longer you blend, the stickier it will be. Set aside
- Step 3 Rinse the blender and add the plant milk (I use Ripple), 1/4 cup bourbon, brown sugar, flax seeds, coconut oil, vanilla, nutmeg and cinnamon. Blend very well, about 3 minutes. Mixture should be smooth, and the consistency of heavy cream.
- Step 4 Tear the croissants into bite sized pieces and add to a bowl. Stir in the plant milk mixture, and place into a greased baking dish. Top with pecans, if desired. Bake for 35 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
- Step 5 When the bread pudding is baked, drizzle with the bourbon caramel and serve warm.
2 thoughts on “Croissant Bread Pudding with Vegan Bourbon Caramel”
Long time supporter, and thought I’d drop a comment.
Your wordpress site is very sleek – hope you don’t mind me asking what theme you’re using?
(and don’t mind if I steal it? :P)
I just launched my site –also built in wordpress like yours– but the theme slows (!) the site down quite a bit.
In case you have a minute, you can find it by searching for “royal cbd”
on Google (would appreciate any feedback) – it’s still in the
Keep up the good work– and hope you all take care of
yourself during the coronavirus scare!
Hey! Thanks for the kind words. I use kale pro! I like it a lot.