I cannot believe I just now found out what babka was! I asked you guys on instagram what recipes I should bake with the 18$ worth of instant yeast I accidentally ordered, and chocolate babka was one of the things you guys came up with. So here we have it, easy chocolate babka.
As much as it looks complicated with all of its chocolatey layers, it really isn’t even a braid, just a simple twist! Ill definitely be adding a video to this one in the near future. There are tons of different babka recipes and videos out there, each one more complicated than the last and for no good reason. This babka already has a decadently rich filling and a fluffy, buttery bread, what more would we need? This is why I set out to write the simplest babka recipe that ever existed.
If you like this easy chocolate babka, try some of my other sweet recipes:
This recipe is:
Easy Chocolate Babka
This babka is both a simplified and dairy free version of the classic.
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/2 pack instant yeast
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 eggs
- 5 Tbsp room temp vegan butter
- 1/2 cup nutella
- Step 1 In a microwave safe bowl, microwave the almond milk for 10 seconds. Stir in the yeast and sugar and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Step 2 With a wooden spoon, stir in the flour, sea salt, eggs and room temperature butter. Knead by hand for 5 minutes. Place in a bowl covered in plastic and let rise in the oven with the light turned on for 2-4 hours, or until doubled in size. Punch down, wrap tightly in plastic wrap and let rest in the fridge for 8-24 hours.
- Step 3 Remove the plastic wrap and place dough onto work surface. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and leave her alone for 1-2 hours.
- Step 4 Roll the dough into a long rectangle. Spread Nutella over evenly over the dough and roll it as if you would a cinnamon bun. Slice in half along the length of the dough, so you have two long pieces with the layers of Nutella exposed. Twist the dough together and place into a greased loaf pan and cover loosely. Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Step 5 Place the loaf pan on top of the oven while it preheats for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Step 6 Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Step 7 Meanwhile, in a medium sauce pot heat 1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup sugar until dissolved to make a simple syrup. As soon as the babka comes out of the oven, brush with the babka with the simple syrup. you’ll hear it sizzle.
- Step 8 When the babka is cool enough to handle, remove from the pan and serve.