This grilled watermelon dessert pizza is perfect for entertaining in the summer heat. Nobody wants to heat up the house by turning on the oven, but that doesn’t mean we need to skip dessert. Plus, who doesn’t love pizza? This recipe is so quick and simple, but gorgeous nonetheless. Grilling fruit takes a little finesse. Its important to use the highest smoking point oil you have available. None of that evoo please. I just use vegetable oil. Also, its important not to move the watermelon once you place it on the grill, or else it will definitely stick!
The key here is using quality vegan cream cheese. There are a lot of super gross versions out there (I’m looking at you, tofutti). I swear by everything Wayfare Foods makes, but their vegan cream cheese is my all time favorite. Its so smooth and lightly salty, perfect for dessert applications! I mix it with a splash of diary free milk and a squeeze of agave in this recipe, just to make it spreadable. You can find it at Wegman’s, but if you don’t have one near you, here’s the link to the product:
Once the “cream cheese” mixture is on, top the pizzas with whatever berries you like. I used blueberries, raspberries, blackberries and sliced cumquats.
Grilled Watermelon Dessert Pizza
This grilled watermelon dessert pizza is perfect for entertaining in hot weather!
- 1 cup vegan cream cheese
- 1/4 cup dairy free milk
- 1 tablespoon agave
- 1 mini watermelon
- vegetable oil, for grilling
- 3 cups assorted berries
- mint, for garnish
- Step 1 Preheat the grill to about 400F
- Step 2 Meanwhile, mix together the vegan cream cheese, dairy free milk and agave. Set aside.
- Step 3 Slice four 2 inch thick round slices from the watermelon. Reserve the rest for snacking.
- Step 4 Oil the grill with vegetable oil (I use an old rag dipped in oil and long tongs…be careful!) Place the cut watermelon on the grill and DON’T move it for 3-4 minutes, or else it will stick. Flip, and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Step 5 Spread the vegan cream cheese mixture on the warm watermelon, top with fruit, garnish with mint, drizzle with additional agave and serve.