There is no denying that sweet potatoes and avocado belong together, which brought me to this recipe idea! If you haven’t had your avocado lightly crisp on the edges and super creamy in the middle from a long roast, you are missing out! This would be so much fun to do with kids!
To make the slicing of the potatoes fool proof, I placed two wooden spoons on either side of the potato while slicing. This way the knife cant go all the way through the potato!
Hasselback Avocado Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
These hasselback sweet potatoes are stuffed with red onion and avocado, which gets lightly crisp on the outside and super creamy on the inside for a long roast. This makes the perfect side dish for entertaining!
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste
- Lime wedges, crushed red pepper flakes and cilantro for garnish
- Step 1 1. Preheat the oven to 375F
- Step 2 2. Peel and slice the potatoes, stopping half an inch from the bottom.
- Step 3 3. Stuff the crevices of the sweet potatoes with the sliced red onion and avocado.
- Step 4 4. Brush with olive oil, then sprinkle generously with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Place on a lined sheet pan, and lightly cover with aluminum foil.
- Step 5 5. Bake for 25 minutes covered, then 20 more uncovered.
- Step 6 6. Serve the sweet potatoes with a squeeze of lime, crushed red pepper flakes and fresh cilantro.