I am obsessed with all things noodles. If I had to choose one food group to eat for the rest of my life, it would be carbs and there is no doubt about it. The only issue with pasta for me is the lack of protein. I have tried chick pea pasta, and don’t get me wrong, its okay. However, its not quite the same as a regular old pasta! I do love the whole wheat kinds that Delallo Foods makes. All of the shapes and sizes are good, I can definitely attest to that. My trick to this recipe is I hide lentils and cauliflower in there. Does it taste healthier than a traditional bolognese, yes. Is it absolutely jammy and savory and delicious as well, YES! As I get older I have found that I can’t really eat large quantities of my favorite foods all the time without feeling and ah *cough* seeing it.
This is my solution to a super fast weeknight meal that is nutritious, delicious and doesn’t sit in (on) my tummy like traditional bolognese. Roberta, my very spicy and very Italian 86 year old grandma hasn’t tried this one yet, but if she had, I guarantee you she would approve. Not like that one time I told her I put ham hock in her bolognese recipe before she would ever give it to me. That is a way to disappoint your Italian grandma, folks. Of course this was years ago and I no longer eat meat anyway, but if I did, I definitely would never EVER put ham hock in a bolognese again.
This recipe is:
If you like this Instant Pot Hidden Veggie Bolognese, try some of my other pasta recipes:
Instant Pot Hidden Veggie Bolognese
This instant pot hidden veggie bolognese is jammy, savory and textural perfection all while packing in loads of veggies and cooking in just 8 minutes
- 1 Tbsp neutral oil
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 8 oz baby Bella mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/4 small cauliflower, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 2 14.5 oz crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup red lentils
- 14.5 oz water
- FOR SERVING
- 1/2 lb cooked whole wheat orecchiette and vegan parmesan cheese, such as violife
- Step 1 Set your instant pot to saute. Add the oil. When hot, add the shallot with a pinch of salt and cook for 2 minutes, or until tender crisp.
- Step 2 Add remaining sauce ingredients and pressure cook on high for 8 minutes. (now would be a good time to cook your pasta if you haven’t already)
- Step 3 Season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve mixed into pasta and garnished with non-dairy parmesan, if desired.