Bring a little color to your holiday table this year! These glazed beets are the perfect side to make with holiday dinner, because it is cooked 100% on the stove top! Prepping beets can be a bit daunting, but I have found a few tricks to keep the color in the beets and off your hands. See in the recipe below.
Lemon Rosemary Glazed Beets
These glazed beets are refreshing, homey and lightly sweet. They come together 100% on the stove top, making them a super convenient side for the holidays!
- 2 bunches medium or one bunch large beets (I used yellow and red)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 Tablespoons sugar (any kind, I used white)
- 1 Tablespoon fresh rosemary
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 Tablespoons vegan butter (I love earth balance soy free)
- Step 1 1. Cut off the stems of the beets, being careful not to pierce the flesh. This keeps the color in the beets and off your hands. Place in a stock pot of cold water, and simmer for 1-2 hours depending on size.
- Step 2 2. Drain beets and run under cold water. Remove the skins with your hands under cold water. They will slip right off! No mess! Slice into wedges on a parchment or paper towel lined cutting board. There will be a little red color that comes out when you slice, so if you have a glove for your non-knife hand that would be ideal.
- Step 3 3. Over medium heat, add the lemon, sugar, rosemary and water. Cook for two minutes.
- Step 4 4. Add the beets and the vegan butter. Cook while constantly stirring for two minutes. The “butter” is what turns the lemon mixture to a glaze! Serve straight away.
- Step 5 TIP: To save prep time on the holiday, you can cook the beets the day before, then glaze right before serving.