These savory glazed carrots with carrot top pesto are coated with a super flavorful mixture of old style Maille mustard and miso believe it or not! I like to leave the sweet seasonings to squash, and keep my carrots as savory as possible. They already have a subtle sweetness to them, so why mask that? I even took this recipe a step further and made it as low waste as possible.
Firstly, we SCRUB carrots, never peel. Its uglier, wasteful and you’re getting rid of a lot of the flavor anyway. In order to keep this low waste swap convenient and easy to remember, keep a produce scrubber next to the sink. Once they’re scrubbed, plop them on a lined sheetpan.
Coat them with the mustard mixture, then roast at 400F for about 20 minutes. I like my carrots with a bit of a bite to them usually, but there is something to be said about a fully cooked carrot. If you prefer soft carrots roast for 30 minutes. OH also, this is the best mustard ever! https://us.maille.com/products/old-style
Meanwhile, make that pesto! You are going to want to wash those greens super well because they will absolutely be full of dirt and whatnot. Dirt tastes bad. Fill a bowl with water and swish those greens around! It is much more effective than a rinse. Pop them in the food processor with the rest of the pesto ingredients and blend until combined, but not completely smooth.
By the time the pesto is ready, the glazed carrots will be too. Serve right away!
You can expect to see plenty more low waste recipes coming to the blog as we get closer to the holidays and we all get cooking more! Let me know if you guys have any suggestions for recipes you like, but would rather have them be lower waste. I love a challenge!
Savory Glazed Carrots with Carrot Top Pesto
These glazed carrots are simple, savory and completely no waste.
- 3T olive oil
- 1T agave
- 3T old style mustard
- 2T miso paste
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2lbs carrots
- CARROT TOP PESTO
- Carrot tops from 2 lbs carrots
- 1/2 cup basil, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 lemons juice
- 2T olive oil
- 1/4 T red pepper flakes
- 1/3 c water
- additional carrot tops for garnish
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to 400F
- Step 2 Combine the first five ingredients in a small bowl.
- Step 3 Scrub the carrots clean and place on a lined sheet pan. Brush with the mustard/miso mixture. Pop them in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Step 4 Meanwhile, add the washed carrot tops and remaining ingredients into a food processor. Blend until combined, but not completely smooth.
- Step 5 Top the roasted carrots with the carrot top pesto, garnish with additional carrot tops and serve.