These shortcut short ribs caused quite the stir in instagram reels! As requested, here is the full recipe 🙂
This is a condensed version of the fall off the bone short ribs I learned how to make in culinary school. Instead of braising in the oven for several hours, these shortcut short ribs go in the instapot. This saves you so much time AND you can prep your sides while the instapot does its thing. I love to serve mine with creamy parmesan polenta, and fresh jus.
To make a good jus for your shortcut short ribs, you must remove as much fat as possible, then thicken. I skim the oil off the top of the instapot after cooking, then again after I strain it. As long as you remove that oily layer from the top of the broth before adding the cornstarch, you will have the most impressive gravy you have ever made.
Shortcut Short Ribs
This is the condensed version of the fall off the bone short rib recipe I learned in culinary school!
- 2 lbs bone in short ribs
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 3 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1-2 cups beef broth
- 1-2 Tbsp cornstarch, mixed w 1 Tbsp water
- Step 1 Remove excess fat from short ribs. Season well with salt and pepper. In an oiled hot pan, sear on all sides until golden brown all around. Set aside.
- Step 2 Discard excess fat from pan. Add in onion, carrots, celery and garlic. Add a tiny pinch of salt. Stir well.
- Step 3 When a brown crust forms on the bottom of the pan, carefully add wine and stir to release it.
- Step 4 When the wine is nearly evaporated, add the tomato paste. Stir and cook for 5 entire minutes. The flavor largely comes from this step.
- Step 5 Add 1 cup broth and stir until every last brown bit comes up from the bottom of the pan. Pour into the instapot with the short ribs and top with more broth until it reaches about halfway to 2/3 up the ribs.
- Step 6 Cook on the meat/stew setting for 35 minutes, then allow to release naturally.
- Step 7 Remove short ribs. Keep warm. Strain the solids out of the broth and discard. Put the broth into a small saucepan and skim the oily layer on top off. Discard.
- Step 8 Bring broth to a light simmer. Add in cornstarch mixed with water into the broth. Keep in mind it must be so hot it bubbles in order for it to thicken.
- Step 9 Serve the short ribs over polenta, drizzled with jus.
- Step 10 Chefs tip: Jus is similar to gravy, but thickened simply with a starch instead of a roux.