This slow roasted tomato and bell pepper soup is my two favorite things, homey and simple. The key here is roasting the Roma tomatoes at a lower temperature for a longer period of time, allowing them to get nice and jammy in flavor. If you’re short on time, use canned whole tomatoes.
This recipe stores well in the fridge for 5 days.
If you like this slow roasted tomato and bell pepper recipe, try my other soups:
Slow Roasted Tomato and Bell Pepper Soup
This slow roasted tomato and bell pepper soup is an elevated version of the classic tomato soup.
- 1.5 lbs roma tomatoes, about 8
- olive oil, salt and pepper
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 gloves garlic, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- about 10 leaves fresh basil
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to 325F
- Step 2 Slice the Roma tomatoes in half, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper then pop them in the oven for an hour and a half.
- Step 3 Meanwhile, in a medium sauce pot on medium low, caramelize the onion in a pat of dairy free butter and pinch of salt. Add the garlic and bell pepper and continue to cook until the bell pepper is tender crisp.
- Step 4 Add the 3 cups water, dried thyme and red pepper flakes. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Step 5 Add the roasted tomatoes into the blender with the bell pepper mixture and blend until smooth. Add the basil and pulse. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve