This recipe uses my Pulse ‘Meat’ recipe, so it is best if you have made some ahead of time. I like to make the recipe and then freeze it in 3 batches, so I can flavor it however I want when the time comes. For this recipe, I used fresh basil and plenty of Italian spices. Wine in this recipe is key. This entire recipe is very special to me because the moment I realized I could be a vegan was when I learned that most boxed pastas and wines are vegan, so this one was a turning point! Some for me, and some for the sauce is now my mantra 🙂
Spaghetti and 'Meatballs'
These 'meatballs' are super hearty, and absorb a lot of the rich tomato flavor from the spaghetti sauce. They are packed with pulse protein, veggies and steel cut oats!
- 1/3 batch 'Pulse Meat' (see recipe on recipe page)
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 28oz can tomato puree
- 1 bunch fresh basil
- Italian seasoning, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Step 1 1. In a sauce pan over medium low heat, sweat the onions and garlic with the salt for 5-10 minutes. Sweating is when you cook vegetables together covered, on low heat. There should be no color, and the lid traps in all the flavor.
- Step 2 2. Add the green peppers and cook for 5 more minutes. Then add the wine, and reduce until its just barely wet.
- Step 3 3. Add the tomato puree and remaining tablespoon of Italian seasoning. Cook this down covered for 20 mintes.
- Step 4 4. Meanwhile, season the ‘Pulse Meat’ with fresh basil, Italian seasonings, salt and pepper. Form into 10 balls and then add it to the sauce, continuing to cook for 5 more minutes.
- Step 5 5. Serve the sauce and meatballs over the cooked pasta, and garnish with more fresh basil, if desired.