There are three things a great salad must have:
1. textural interest
2. protein and fat for appetite satiety
3. a well seasoned dressing
We are checking all the boxes here with this tabbouleh avocado salad with salmon. The tabbouleh provides both textural interest and a well seasoned dressing, plus avocado and salmon for appetite satiety.
This would be just as good with grilled salmon, it is the perfect summer salad. What I love about tabbouleh is that you can make it ahead because it stores super well. You can eat it by itself, or with naan and a scoop of hummus. Bulgar is also decently high in iron and is a good source of protein, so as someone who doesn’t eat red meat, its a staple in my kitchen.
This Tabbouleh Avocado Salad with Salmon is:
meal prep friendly
easy to make
If you like this Tabbouleh Avocado Salad with Salmon, try these as well:
Tabbouleh Avocado Salad with Salmon
This Tabbouleh Avocado Salad with Salmon is the perfect balance of lemony tang and herby deliciousness!
- 3/4 cup bulgar wheat
- 1 cup salted water
- 1 cucumber, half chopped and half sliced
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, half chopped and half sliced
- 1 shallot, half chopped and half sliced
- 1 large bunch flat leaf parsley, minced
- 1 bunch mint, minced
- 2 lemons
- good drizzle extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 avocado
- 4 3oz salmon filets
- Bibb lettuce, for serving
- Step 1 In a medium sauce pan, bring the bulgar and water to a simmer. Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook covered for ten minutes.
- Step 2 Meanwhile, chop the veg. If you want to make a more structured salad, chop half of the cucumber and tomatoes for the tabbouleh, and then neatly slice the rest for garnish. If you’re not really presenting the salad to anyone, just chop all of it for the tabbouleh.
- Step 3 Mince the herbs very finely. At this point, the bulgar will be cooked. Spread it on a plate and let it cool while you cook the salmon.
- Step 4 This recipe is customizable so cook the salmon however you like it best. I just sautéed mine with a bit of salt and avocado oil.
- Step 5 Now, combine the cooked bulgar, chopped veg, minced herbs, lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil.
- Step 6 Serve the tabbouleh on top of Bibb lettuce, topped with the salmon, sliced shallots, tomatoes, cucumber and avocado.
- Step 7 CHEFS TIP: tabbouleh stores extremely well in the fridge for up to 5 days