I love a good mash-up. You know what else I love? Tacos. And of course sweet potato fries, so here we are! Everything comes together in one skillet, so its so easy to pull together! This recipe has everything I love about a good, crispy sweet potato wedge with an added level of interest coming from the taco ingredients and spices! Its also a really fun way to get more vegetables and plant based protein (hello, black beans) to a family friendly appetizer.
By starting with the onions and then adding water to the skillet with your sweet potato fries, it makes a quick little stock so the fries soak up all that goodness as they get soft in the middle. Then, you take off the lid and get them crispy on the outside! The veg only needs to go in long enough for them to get warm, because they’re canned so they’re already cooked.Toss in the taco seasoning last, because they tend to stick and burn in cast iron. Yes, I learned that the hard way.
The vegan “sour cream” is totally optional, yet highly recommended. Its essentially seasoned blended tofu, which adds a really nice creamy element that balances out the heat from the spices.
This recipe is:
Lazy dish washer approved
Taco Sweet Potato Fry Skillet
Sweet potato fries link up with the elements of a taco in this 30 minute, one pan appetizer.
- FOR THE SKILLET:
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- small pinch salt
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into wedges
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup canned corn
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed
- 1/2 cup prepared tomato salsa
- 2 Tablespoons dried cilantro
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 avocado, sliced for garnish
- 1 lime
- FOR THE VEGAN SOUR CREAM:
- 6 oz firm tofu
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 a limes juice
- S&P to taste
- Step 1 Heat the olive oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat until it moves like water when you shake the pan. Add the onions with a pinch of salt and cook until the edges start to turn just a bit brown.
- Step 2 Add the sweet potatoes and cook for one minute, then add the water. Pop a lid on and continue to cook for 5 minutes. Remove the lid and let all of the water evaporate.
- Step 3 Continue to cook the fries until they are crisp on the edges. You can add a tablespoon or two of water here if you experience sticking.
- Step 4 Meanwhile, blend all of the ingredients for the vegan sour cream in a blender until smooth.
- Step 5 Add the corn, black beans, salsa and spices. Cook and stir for 5 minutes.
- Step 6 Turn off the heat and garnish with avocado. Drizzle with the sour cream and serve!