I may or may not have made this recipe into donuts because I was craving muffins, but forgot I don’t own a muffin pan until I got home with all my ingredients… All my fellow dog people understand that once you’re in after a trip out, there’s no leaving again for a while. So, my banana muffins became vegan banana bread donuts, and I am not mad about it at all.
Baked donuts are great because they are thinner in shape than a traditional muffin or loaf pan, so they bake faster and the texture stays a bit more fluffy. It is generally a more low maintenance way to bake things, which is great for me because to be honest, baking has never really been my thing. I certainly don’t feel as attached to it as I do cooking. However, since I’ve been pretty much vegan and health conscious overall, its become increasingly hard to satisfy my sweet tooth and still feel good after.
Pro tip: To easily and quickly fill donut molds, put the batter into a plastic bag and cut the tip off, then pipe it into the molds.
These donuts are:
Vegan Banana Bread Donuts
A perfect twist on a classic, these vegan banana bread donuts are lightly sweet, fluffy, and come together in just one bowl.
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 1 Tablespoon ground flax
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 2 very ripe bananas, peeled and mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup vegan chocolate chips
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to 350F
- Step 2 Stir together the water and flax. Let sit for 3 minutes
- Step 3 Add the melted coconut oil, mashed bananas, vanilla, non-dairy milk, coconut sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Stir until well combined.
- Step 4 Add in the all purpose and almond flour. Stir gently.
- Step 5 Fill silicone donut molds with the batter and bake for 15 minutes, or until set. Remove from oven.
- Step 6 Once slightly cooled, dizzle with peanut butter and top with chopped chocolate chips and walnuts.