This week is all about comfort food. Its freezing out here in baltimore, so all I want is carbs on carbs on carbs! This vegan shepards pie certainly satisfied that craving!
Vegan Shepards Pie
The classic shepards pie goes vegan! This dish is so comforting, flavorful, and easy to make! The cast iron pan really helps develop layers of flavor.
- For the Mashed Potatoes:
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup cashews
- 3 large yukon gold potatoes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- For the Veggies:
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 1 can corn
- 2 cups peas or green beans
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 Tablespoons aminos (I use braggs)
- Step 1 1. Cut off the top of the garlic clove, wrap it in foil, and toss in the oven at 325.
- Step 2 2. Peel and halve the potatoes, simmer in cold water until tender.
- Step 3 3. Meanwhile, boil the cashews in the water for 5 minutes, then let sit.
- Step 4 4. Start the veggie mixture. In a cast iron skilletover medium heat, add the olive oil. Add the onion and cook for 3-5 mintues. Then add the carrots and the celery. Cook for 5 more minutes. Stir in the corn
- Step 5 5. Sprinkle with flour, stir until well combines. Slowly stir in the stock and aminos. Bring to a simmer for two minutes, then turn it off.
- Step 6 6. Drain and mash the potatoes. Remove the garlic from the oven and squeeze into the pot. Increase the oven temperature to 400F
- Step 7 7. Blend the cashews with the water, then add to the mashed potatoes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Step 8 8. Top the vegetable mixture with the potatoes. Use a fork in a circular motion to create a pattern, if desired.
- Step 9 9. Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until the potatoes are lightly browned and the filling is bubbly. Garnish with fresh parsley, if desired.