These vegan s’mores cookies are gluten free, refined sugar free AND delicious. They have a perfectly soft inside and a crunchy outside, thanks to the broiler. This was my first time ever working with vegan marshmallows and I have to admit, I’m impressed. Once they’re melted they taste like any other marshmallow I’ve ever had. I used the brand Dandies, which I found at Whole Foods.
Also! Have you guys noticed something different??! I just wrapped up the introductory course at Foodtography School by Bromabakery and let me TELL you, it was so incredibly helpful. Not only did I learn a bunch (about editing especially) it was very inspiring to get things rolling again! I highly recommend the class to anyone starting out. You can go at your own pace, and you have access to all the info before purchasing. Also, I think it was less than 500$! Here’s a link to her site:
Now back to the program 🙂 Surprisingly enough, Nabisco graham crackers are vegan. You can’t have s’mores cookies without graham crackers! For this recipe, I crushed the graham crackers and then pressed the dough into the crushed cookies in order to create a layer of graham on the bottom. Super easy, super efficient, and they get a little toasty because they’re touching the bottom of the cookie sheet while they bake. winwinwin.
A word of warning, though. IT TOOK ME FOUR WHOLE TIMES TO GET THIS RECIPE RIGHT. Definitely set your timer, and read carefully! Theres something about trying to get dough to cook properly and get a nice, toasty marshmallow on top that requires a little finesse. Every oven is a little different, so keep an eye on these bad boys when you turn the broiler on!
These Vegan S’mores Cookies are:
Not all that bad for you
Vegan S'mores Cookies
These S'mores cookies are vegan, gluten free and refined sugar free, but they definitely don't sacrifice on flavor!
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- a pinch of salt
- 6 dates, pitted
- 3 Tablespoons oil
- 3 Tablespoons water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup crushed graham cracker cookies
- 1 bar dark chocolate, chopped
- 6 vegan marshmallows, quartered
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to 350F
- Step 2 Combine the almond flour, baking soda and salt in a medium sized bowl. Set aside
- Step 3 In a blender (personal sized is easiest if you have one), blend the dates, oil, water and vanilla until they form a smooth paste. You need to process it for at least one minute for this to happen.
- Step 4 Stir together the date paste and the almond flour mixture with HALF of the chopped chocolate.
- Step 5 Divide the dough into 6 balls. Press each ball into the graham cracker mixture, coating the bottom. Place on a lined cookie sheet. Top the cookies with the remaining chocolate and marshmallows.
- Step 6 Bake the cookies for 20 minutes, then switch the oven setting to broil for 5 minutes. Be sure to watch them at this point, or the marshmallows may burn.
- Step 7 Serve warm with dairy free milk, if desired.