I made this strawberry clafoutis without the dairy, and swapped in whole wheat flour instead of all purpose flour. It is a slightly healthier summery dessert with is PERFECT for highlighting whatever berry just so happens to be in season. Feel free to sub in cherries or blueberries!
This dessert is fun because it comes out of the oven super fluffy! It eventually sinks a bit like a soufflé, so it is important to serve it immediately after its finished baking. I use a 10 inch cast iron pan for the aesthetic, but a 10×10 ceramic baking dish will work just as well.
Another thing to note about this recipe is how you preheat the vegan butter in the pan before baking. It makes ALL the difference texture wise, so please don’t skip this step!
If you like this strawberry clafoutis, try some of my other easy sweet treats:
Whole Wheat Strawberry Clafoutis
A healthier version of a French classic, this clafoutis is fluffy, moist and bursting with summery flavor.
- 2 Tbsp vegan butter
- 5 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 12 oz sliced strawberries
- Step 1 Put the butter in a 10 inch cast iron skillet. Put it in the oven set to 350F
- Step 2 Whisk together the eggs, sugar, almond milk, vanilla, salt and lemon zest.
- Step 3 GENTLY fold in the flour with a rubber spatula.
- Step 4 Carefully remove the skillet from the oven and pour in the batter. Top with strawberries and return to the oven. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes without ever ever ever opening the oven. NO PEEKING. When it is golden and fluffy, remove from the oven, dust with powdered sugar and serve immediately.
- Step 5 CHEFS NOTE: The reason you cannot open the oven door while this is baking is because the clafoutis will fall, causing it to never fully bake and remain kind of wet and soggy. Do your best to resist peeking!