I am obsessed with fruit on the grill. Theres something about that char on something that is so juicy and sweet that just DOES IT for me. So here we have it, a grilled watermelon tomato salad with chipotle vinaigrette. I love this vinaigrette because it is spicy and a little sweet which I think compliments this salad perfectly.
A little pro tip for grilling watermelon: Slice it into big rounds (think wheel shapes) and grill those THEN chop them into bite sized pieces. You’ll still get plenty of char, even cooking and you wont have to chase little cubes around your grill. And then drop them between the grates. And then clean the grill. Lets work harder not smarter here 🙂 This one is awesome because its a little bit different than the average corn salad or plain ol grilled asparagus, but its still a crowd pleaser because everyone loves watermelon.
This recipe is:
If you like this grilled watermelon tomato salad with chipotle vinaigrette recipe, try some of my other summer favorites:
Grilled Watermelon Tomato Salad with Chipotle Vinaigrette
This watermelon tomato salad with chipotle vinaigrette is has this juicy char flavor that is paired perfectly with a spicy dressing.
- 1 small watermelon
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 red onion,sliced
- 2 small cucumbers
- 1 pint cherry heirloom tomatoes, halved
- 3 Tbsp lime juice
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 2 tsp chipotle
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup non dairy feta, such as violife brand
- mint and basil, for garnish (optional)
- Step 1 Preheat the grill to medium high heat.
- Step 2 Slice the watermelon into 1-2 inch rounds and the avocado in half. Brush the avocado with some oil. Grill the watermelon and avocado just until they get a little char, about 10 minutes. chop into bite sized pieces and toss with the red onion, chopped cucumbers and tomatoes.
- Step 3 In a small bowl, mix together the lime, honey, chipotle, olive oil and a pinch of salt. Pour over the watermelon mixture, garnish with vegan feta, basil and mint.